The first Food – a fact of life Food and nutrition education in Scotland conference for primary and secondary teachers will take place on 16 November 2019. The conference is aimed at trainee, new, non-specialist and experienced teachers and will provide insight into the food and nutrition issues that impact the lives and education of children and young people in Scotland. There will be presentations from experts in the fields of education, cooking, food and farming, nutrition and classroom management.
There will be an opportunity to network with like-minded professionals and update knowledge to enhance teaching and learning of food and nutrition education for children and young people. There will be sessions dedicated to teaching pupils in the primary and secondary phases.
This half day conference is being offered to teachers at a greatly subsidised rate of £20 (including VAT ) per person. Cost includes refreshments and a light lunch.
Limited early bird discounted tickets are available – use the code primary50 or secondary50 when booking to receive this discount.
There are also a limited number of free places for trainee primary and secondary teachers. Please contact Frances for more details: firstname.lastname@example.org
Key note sessions (primary and secondary)
- Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Education – whole school approach to health and wellbeing - Ann Floyd, HM Inspector of Education, Education Scotland (TBC)
- Cooking for life - Gary MacLean, Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Hospitality and Leisure,City of Glasgow College and Scotland’s National Chef
- Food security, provenance and quality in the UK - David Swales, Head of Strategic Insight, Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board
- Food Standards Scotland - Tanya Olmeda-hodge, Marketing Manager Education, Food Standards Scotland
- Education Scotland update - Jeanette Smart, Development Officer, Education Scotland
- Healthy Eating: bringing the Eatwell Guide to life - Alex White, Assistant Nutrition Scientist, British Nutrition Foundation
- Food safety in the primary classroom - Frances Meek, Senior Education Officer, British Nutrition Foundation
- Focus on cooking – a practical session including resources and training for primary teachers - Claire Theobald, Education Services Manager, British Nutrition Foundation
- Springboard - support for teachers and pupils in Scotland - Amanda McDade, Careers & Education Manager, Springboard
- Education Scotland update - Frances Duffy
- Scottish Qualifications Authority update - Graeme Findlay, Qualifications Manager, Scottish Qualifications Authority
- Teaching Home Economics – the highs, the challenges and the future - Emma Creaney, Home Economics Teacher, Carluke High School
- Get portion wise! - Roy Ballam, Roy Ballam, Managing Director and Head of Education, British Nutrition Foundation
- Resources and training from Food - a fact of life - Frances Meek, Senior Education Officer, British Nutrition Foundation
- Enhance your own professional development.
- Network with like-minded professionals.
- Update knowledge to enhance teaching and learning.
- Engage with experts in food and nutrition, education, food and farming.
- Collect a comprehensive delegate pack on the day.
- Receive a certificate of attendance – useful evidence for performance management.
- The conference supports the Food teaching in primary and secondary schools: a framework of knowledge and skills
– backed by government.
- Refreshments and lunch provided!
Scottish primary and secondary trainee and practising teachers.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?