1x15ml spoon fresh coriander
½ red chilli
1x5ml spoon garam masala
½ 5ml spoon turmeric
2-3x15ml spoons water
25g peas (frozen)
1 pack filo pastry
25g butter or soft spread
Chopping board, knife, vegetable peeler, 2x saucepans, colander, wooden spoon, small bowl, pastry brush, baking tray.
1. Preheat oven to 200ºC or gas mark 6.
2. Prepare the filling:
- peel and finely dice the potato;
- peel and finely dice the carrot;
- peel and finely dice the onion;
- deseed and finely dice the chilli;
- chop the coriander.
3. Par-boil the potatoes for 5-8 minutes.
4. Fry the onion in the oil for 4-5 minutes.
5. Add the chilli and spices and cook for a further 1 minute.
6. Drain the potatoes and carrots in a colander.
7. Add the potatoes, carrots and water to the onion mixture, fry gently for 5 minutes.
8. Add the peas and coriander.
9. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
10. Lay 2-3 sheets of filo pastry on the work surface.
11. Cut into 10 cm wide strips.
12. Place 1x15ml spoon of filling in the bottom left-hand corner. Fold over to make a triangle. Repeat this process.
13. Place on a baking sheet and repeat the process.
14. Lightly spray the samosas with oil, or brush with the fat, and bake for 10 minutes.
- Be careful when preparing the fresh chilli. Use a fork to hold the chilli when cutting or wear gloves. Thoroughly wash and dry your hands and do not touch your face or hands.
- The samosas can be frozen in advance for a party or celebration.
- Use different vegetables e.g. okra, sweetcorn, spinach.
- This recipe is for mild samosas. Add more chilli and a glove of garlic for extra kick!
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?