100g plain flour
20g grated Parmesan cheese
2 x 15ml spoon cold water
½ small onion
1 garlic clove
50g chorizo sausage
6 cherry tomatoes
1 large courgette
1 large carrot
1 x 15ml spoon oil
225g extra lean beef mince
½ x 5ml spoon cayenne pepper
125ml hot water
1 beef stock cube
1 x 5ml spoon plain flour
1 x 5ml spoon tomato purée
2 x 15 ml spoon frozen peas
10g grated Parmesan cheese
6 new potatoes
100g frozen peas
Baking tray, 2 x 10cm pastry cutters, weighing scales, mixing bowl, measuring spoons, rolling pin, flour dredger, knife, baking tray, fork, baking parchment, baking beans, knife, chopping board, garlic crusher, peeler, frying pan, mixing spoon, measuring jug, oven gloves, 2 x saucepans with lids, colander, hand-held blender, 2 x serving plates.
1. Grease or line a baking tray and pastry cutters.
2. To make the pastry:
• rub in the butter into the flour;
• stir in the Parmesan cheese;
• stir in enough water to form a dough.
3. On a lightly floured surface, divide the dough into two and shape into balls.
4. Roll out each ball of dough into a circle approximately 2mm thick.
5. Place 2 x 10cm pastry cutters onto the baking tray and line with pastry.
6. Lightly prick the base of the tartlet case with a fork, line each case with some baking parchment and fill the case with baking beans. Leave to rest in the refrigerator for 10 minutes, if time allows.
7. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C or Gas mark 6.
8. Prepare the ingredients:
• peel and chop the onion finely;
• peel and crush the garlic;
• slice the chorizo sausage thinly;
• slice four cherry tomatoes in half;
• thinly slice a quarter of the courgette; using a vegetable peeler make ribbons with the remaining courgette;
• peel and slice the carrot into ribbons.
9. Dry-fry the onion and garlic in a large frying pan for a few minutes until soft.
10. Add the mince and cayenne pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes until the mince is brown.
11. Make up the stock.
12. Add the flour to the mince, stir well and then add the black pepper, stock, tomato purée and 2 x 15ml spoons peas. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
13. Bake the pastry cases for 10 minutes.
14. Remove the baking beans and return to the oven for 2-3 minutes, cool and trim the edges of the pastry.
15. Dry-fry the chorizo and the sliced courgettes for a few minutes until soft.
16. Drain any oil away from the chorizo and courgettes.
17. Spoon the mince mixture into the pastry cases and arrange the chorizo, courgette, and cherry tomato halves on top. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
18. Bake the tartlets for 5-10 minutes.
19. Place the potatoes in cold water and bring to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
20. Place the peas in a separate saucepan of boiling water to cook for 3-4 minutes.
21. When cooked, drain and purée the peas together with half the butter and a few twists of black pepper.
22. Melt the remaining butter in a pan and add the carrot and courgette ribbons to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, until slightly wilted.
23. Drain the potatoes.
24. Place the 2 remaining cherry tomatoes with their stalks in hot water for 1-2 minutes, to remove the bottom half of the skin.
25. Serve the tarts accompanied by the vegetables, potatoes and pea purée. Garnish with the cherry tomatoes.
· Try steaming vegetables ribbons instead of frying.
· Go for lean beef mince to reduce the fat content.
· To prevent the pastry drying out, cover the cases with cling film before placing these into the refrigerator.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?