225g self-raising flour plus a little more for dusting
1 ½ x 5ml spoons baking powder
50g unsalted butter or baking fat/block
25g Cheddar cheese
2 large baking potatoes
Fat or oil to grease baking sheet
Sieve, grater, rolling pin, baking sheet, cooling rack, large bowl, measuring jug, 5cm round cutter, oven gloves.
- Pre heat the oven to 220°C.
- Grease or line a baking tray.
- Cook the potatoes in a microwave until soft. Allow to cool and remove the skin.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together into a bowl and rub in the fat.
- Grate the cheese and add to the bowl.
- Pass the potato through a sieve into the mixture.
- Add the milk, a little at a time, and form into a soft dough.
- Roll out to about 2cm thick and cut out discs with a 5cm cutter.
- Place on a greased baking sheet, dust with the extra flour and bake for 10-15 minutes until risen and golden.
- Remove to a wire cooling tray and serve while still slightly warm.
- Try different cheeses such as Wensleydale or a smoked cheese.
- Add chopped dried apricots for a fruity flavour.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?