Launched in 2005, Grow Your Own Potatoes (GYOP) was one of the first primary school based growing projects. Since then, it has become the largest of its kind with over 2 million children having taken part.
The straightforward and hands-on nature of this project is perfect for young pupils, which is why 16,000 Primary Schools in England, Scotland and Wales took part in 2019. Getting involved is easy, just visit the website and sign up to receive your FREE growing kit.
Each growing kit includes everything you need to grow two crops of potatoes;
- Instruction leaflet, including classroom poster with key dates
- 2 x nets of seed potatoes (national and regional)
- 2 x HADO grow-bags
- Chitting tray - you will find this built into the lid of your box
Schools can apply for up to 4 free growing kits, for four classes to take part so why not challenge your colleagues, and generate healthy competition between classes excited to see who can grow the most potatoes.
Taking part is simple:
- Register for your growing kit by Friday 24 January 2020
- Kits distributed into schools in time to chit and plant your seed potatoes on Tuesday 3 March 2020
- Grow and look after your potatoes for 15 weeks before harvesting on Tuesday 16 June 2020
- Competition closes Friday 26 June 2020
- Visit the GYOP website to download activities to support the project
- Visit our Food commodities section for curriculum linked resources to support teaching about potatoes
What’s more, you can enter our competition at the end of the project to win prizes for your school. Take a look at the different competition categories here.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?