75g plain white flour
25g plain wholemeal flour
½ x 5ml spoon of mustard powder
50g butter or baking fat/block
50g cheddar cheese
2 x 15ml spoons cold water
Baking tray, weighing scales, sieve, measuring spoons, mixing bowl, grater, chopping board, palette knife, flour dredger, rolling pin, oven gloves and cooling rack.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC or gas mark 6.
- Grease or line the baking tray.
- Sift the flour and mustard powder into the mixing bowl.
- Using your fingertips, rub the fat into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Grate the cheese.
- Stir the cheese into the flour mixture.
- Using a palette knife, mix to form a smooth dough, adding a little cold water to help bind the mixture together.
- Roll out, on a lightly floured surface, to form a rectangle about 0.5cm thick.
- Trim away the edges and cut into thin strips, about 1.5cm x 7cm, using a palette knife.
- Place the straws on the baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Use the rolling pin like a ruler, to help you cut even strips.
- You may like to brush the cheese stick with water and sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds before baking, but be aware of student allergies.
- Add mixed herbs, chilli flakes or a different type of cheese.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?