100g caster sugar
100g butter or soft baking spread
100g self raising flour
1 x 5ml spoon baking powder
1 eating apple
1 x 5ml spoon cinnamon
1 x 5ml spoon demerara sugar
Baking tin (20cm square)or foil trays, electric hand whisk, mixing bowl, small bowl, sieve, metal spoon, spatula, cooling rack, measuring spoons, knife, chopping board.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC or gas mark 4.
- Grease and/or line the baking in or foil trays.
- Cream the sugar and fat together, ideally using an electric hand whisk, until light and fluffy.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs with a fork.
- Add the beaten egg, a little at a time, to the fat and sugar.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl, or onto a plate or piece of greaseproof paper.
- Fold the flour and baking powder into the mixture, a spoonful at a time.
- Spread the mixture in the cake tin.
- Core the apple and slice thinly.
- Arrange the apple slices over the cake mix, then sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar on top.
- Place in the oven and bake for around 20 minutes, until golden brown and springy to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- When lining baking tin it is only necessary to line the bottom of the tin. The sides can be greased with oil.
- For a tasty alternative, try pear and ginger.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?