100g Cheddar cheese
25g butter or soft spread
25g plain flour
250ml semi-skimmed milk
Two saucepans, weighing scales, grater, chopping board, knife, colander, measuring jug, wooden spoon, whisk, ovenproof dish (or foil tray).
1. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, and then add the macaroni. Cook for about 10 – 12 minutes, until al dente.
2. Grate the cheese and slice the tomato.
3. While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce:
- place the fat, flour and milk into a small saucepan;
- bring the sauce to a simmer, whisking all the time until it has thickened;
- stir in 75g of the grated cheese.
4. Preheat the grill.
5. Drain the boiling hot water away from the macaroni into a colander in the sink.
6. Stir the drained macaroni into the cheese sauce and add a few twists of black pepper.
7. Pour the macaroni into an oven-proof dish (or foil tray).
8. Arrange the tomato slices over the macaroni.
9. Place under a hot grill until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown.
- Try using a reduced fat Cheddar cheese to lower the fat content or use wholemeal pasta to increase the fibre.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?