170g plain flour
170g self-raising wholemeal flour
1 x 15ml spoon of lemon juice
1 x 5ml spoon bicarbonate of soda
Weighing scales, sieve, large bowl, measuring spoon, measuring jug, fork, flour dredger, baking tray, knife, oven gloves, cooling rack.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or gas mark 6.
- Stir the lemon juice into the milk to make it curdle.
- Sift both flours, and the bicarbonate of soda, into the large bowl. Tip in the bran from the sieve.
- Add the milk and mix everything together quickly to form a soft dough.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly for a few moments to form a round, flattened ball.
- Place the dough onto a floured baking tray and score a cross on top of the dough.
- Carefully, place the bread into the hot oven, wearing oven gloves.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Wearing oven gloves, remove the bread from the oven, and place onto a cooling rack.
- Eat whilst the bread is still warm, perhaps with soup.
- Why not try adding dried fruit or seeds?
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?