2 medium onions
2 garlic cloves
10 ready-to-eat dried apricots
300ml stock – reduced salt
2 x 15ml spoons oil
8 small chicken thighs
Large pinch saffron threads, crushed (optional)
1 x15ml spoon ground ginger
1 x 15ml spoon ground cumin
1 x 15 ml spoon ground cinnamon
2 x 15ml spoons honey
Small handful coriander
4 x 15ml spoons flaked almonds, toasted (optional)
Couscous to serve
Pomegranate seeds (optional)
Fresh mixed herbs, chopped
Chopping board, vegetable knife, garlic crusher, lemon squeezer, measuring jug, kettle, large saucepan, spatula.
- Prepare the ingredients:
- peel and chop the onions;
- peel and crush the garlic;
- cut the dried apricots into quarters;
- juice the lemon;
- make up 300ml of stock;
- chop the coriander.
- In a large saucepan heat 1 x 15ml spoon of the oil.
- Season the chicken and brown on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil, onions, garlic and a pinch of ground pepper. Sauté for 10 minutes until softened and golden.
- Add the spices, sauté for 1 minute, then add the chicken, apricots, lemon juice, honey and half the coriander.
- Pour in the water or stock and cook on a low heat for 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Cut into a thick chunk of chicken to check that it is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with the almonds and remaining coriander and serve with warm herby couscous and pomegranate seeds.
- Try using chunks of lamb instead of chicken.
- Try dried cherries or sultanas instead of chopped apricots.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?