25g butter or baking fat/block
25g plain flour
Saucepan, measuring jug, wooden spoon.
- Melt the butter/baking fat in a saucepan over a medium heat. Pour in the flour off the heat and stir well. This should make a thick paste. Cook paste for one minute or until it bubbles.
- Slowly add a little milk off the heat. Bring to the boil.
- Add a little more milk off the heat. Bring back to the boil again.
- Continue to add the milk in this way, making sure the mixture boils each time, until all the milk has been used.
- Taste and season with pepper if necessary.
- To make a cheese sauce, add 75g grated cheese off the heat once the sauce is cooked. The heat of the sauce will melt the cheese.
Melt, simmer and boil
Mix, Stir & Combine
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?