1 butternut squash
2 cloves garlic
½ red chilli
1 red onion, chopped
1 x 15ml spoon parmesan
1 x 15ml spoon sage
250g risotto rice
1-1.5L boiling water
1 reduced salt vegetable stock cube
Chopping board, knife, baking dish, garlic press, grater, frying pan, spoon, kettle, measuring jug.
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC or gas mark 6.
2. Prepare the vegetables:
- cut the butternut squash in quarters or into large pieces – place into a baking dish;
- peel and crush the garlic;
- deseed and finely dice the chilli;
- peel and finely dice the onion;
- grate the cheese;
- chop the sage.
3. Spread one clove of garlic over the squash, sprinkle with the chilli and spray with the oil. Roast for 40 minutes.
4. Add some spray oil to the frying pan and fry the onion and garlic for 4 minutes.
5. Stir in the rice.
6. Make up the stock using boiling water.
7. Add a little of stock at a time. Wait for the stock to be adsorbed. Stir constantly.
8. Continue adding the stock until the rice cooks – this will take 20-30 minutes.
9. Scoop out the butternut squash flesh from the skin.
10. Stir the roasted butternut squash, parmesan and sage into the rice.
- Make a basic risotto and add whatever vegetables, fish or meat you have.
- To save time, use ready prepared or frozen butternut squash.
- After the butternut squash has been roasting for 20 minutes, pour over a can of chopped tomatoes, garlic and a little water – cover and cook for another 20-30 minutes – serve with pasta.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?