2 celery sticks
1 clove of garlic
2 large cans chopped tomatoes
1x5ml spoon mixed herbs
1 can cannellini beans
600ml water (1 reduced salt stock cube, optional)
50g small pasta shells
A few fresh basil leaves
Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
Black pepper to taste
Chopping board, knife, measuring spoons, garlic press, can opener, saucepan, wooden spoon.
1. Prepare the vegetables:
- peel and finely dice the onion;
- wash and slice the celery;
- peel and crush the garlic.
2. Fry the onions, celery, and garlic in the oil for 3-4 minutes until soft.
3. Add the canned tomatoes and herbs.
4. Simmer gently for about 10 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally.
5. Drain the beans and to the pan with the water.
6. Add the stock cube if using.
7. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.
8. Add the pasta and cook for another 5–10 minutes, until the pasta is cooked.
9. Taste the soup and season with black pepper, if liked.
10. Serve the soup. Pour into a bowl and sprinkle with torn basil leaves and parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Replace the beans with chopped courgette or peppers.
- Add plenty of vegetables, rice, pasta or lentils to make it go further.
- Swap the pasta for rice or potatoes.
- Allow the soup to cool and freeze in a suitable container.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?