360ml boiling water
1 reduced salt stock cube
1 red onion
1 red pepper
50g almond flakes
100g canned chickpeas
2 x 15ml spoons parsley
Kettle, measuring jug, spoon, large bowl, fork, chopping board, sharp knife, can opener, colander.
1. Make up the stock: dissolve the stock cube in the boiling water.
2. Pour the stock over the couscous in a large bowl.
3. Fluff with a fork and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
4. Prepare the other ingredients:
- peel and finely dice the onion;
- deseed and finely dice the red pepper;
- under a hot grill, toast the almonds;
- drain the chickpeas;
- chop the parsley.
5. Mix the onion, pepper, almonds, chickpeas and raisins with the couscous.
6. Sprinkle the parsley on top to serve.
- Vary the vegetables in the couscous dish, e.g. celery, spring onion, sweetcorn, peas, olives, mushrooms.
- Replace the chickpeas with chopped cooked chicken, ham, tuna or chunks of feta cheese.
- Add chopped apricots and omit the raisins and almonds.
- As stock cubes are high in salt, try using half the stock cube in the couscous and add more herbs or lemon juice for flavour.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?