400g of smooth potatoes, such as Desiree
2 medium onions
125ml chicken or vegetable stock
25g butter or soft spread
Vegetable knife, chopping board, peeler, mixing bowl, mixing spoon, roasting tin, pastry brush, flat bottomed pan.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C.
- Cut the potatoes into 2mm slices with a vegetable knife or on a mandolin. Set aside enough slices to cover the top.
- Peel, halve and finely slice the onions.
- Mix the onions and potatoes and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Place in a buttered roasting tin and cover with the stock.
- Neatly arrange the remaining potatoes by neatly overlapping the slices.
- Brush with oil or dab with butter/spread.
- Place in oven for 20 minutes until lightly coloured.
- Reduce the heat and allow to cook steadily. Press the potatoes down firmly, from time to time, using a clean flat-bottomed pan.
- Cook for approximately 1.5 hours in total, until all of the stock has cooked into the potato.
- Serve sprinkled with rosemary leaves.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?