600g smooth potatoes such as Desiree
25g butter or soft spread
50g plain flour
100g fresh breadcrumbs
Pepper for seasoning
Peeler, vegetable knife, chopping board, saucepan x 2, colander, potato ricer, mouli or sieve, mixing spoon, palette knife, deep fat fryer, kitchen paper.
1. Prepare a ‘Duchess’ mixture:
- wash, peel and rewash potatoes and cut to an even size;
- add potatoes to a pan of cold water, bring to the boil and cook;
- drain, cover and return the potatoes to the pan, over a low heat, to dry out;
- pass the potatoes through a potato ricer, mouli or sieve;
- place the potatoes in a clean pan;
- crack one egg and separate;
- add the egg yolk to the potatoes and stir vigorously with a mixing spoon;
- mix in the fat and season.
2. Mould the mixture into cylinder shapes, approximately 5cm x 2cm.
3. Crack the remaining egg and beat with a fork.
4. Pass the potato shapes through flour, egg wash and breadcrumbs.
5. Reshape with a palette knife and leave to chill.
6. Deep fry in hot oil (185°C) in a frying basket.
7. When the potatoes are a golden colour, drain well on kitchen paper and serve.
- Ensure that the fat in the fryer is clean.
- Use long tongs or a frying basket to add or remove food.
- Carefully add food to avoid splashing.
- Do not overfill the fryer. Overfilling causes splashing and bubbling over of hot food.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?