125g Cheddar cheese, grated
Freshly ground black pepper
150ml half fat crème fraiche
Ovenproof dish, knife, chopping board, weighing scales, grater, measuring jug, 15 ml spoon, oven gloves.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (350°F) or Gas mark 4.
2. Lightly grease an ovenproof dish.
3. Prepare the ingredients:
- peel and very thinly slice the potatoes;
- grate the cheese;
- slice the tomatoes.
4. Cover the base of the dish with a layer of potato slices.
5. Make alternate layers of potato, tomato and cheese, seasoning with pepper. Reserve approximately 25g of cheese for the top. Finish with a layer of potatoes.
6. Spoon over the crème fraiche and top with the reserved cheese.
7. Cook for 1¼ — 1½ hours or until the potatoes are tender and the top is golden brown — if the top is brown before the potatoes are cooked cover with foil and continuing cooking.
- Make an additional layer with thinly sliced onion.
- Try a different cheese such as Gruyere or Emmental.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?