250g strong white flour
1 x 5ml spoon salt
1 x 5ml spoon sugar
1 x 7g packet fast action dried yeast
150ml warm water
1 x 15ml spoon oil
1 small ball mozzarella cheese or 50g Cheddar cheese
1 small onion
1 small tomato
A handful of fresh basil
1 small jar tomato pizza sauce or 2-3 x 15ml spoons tomato purée
Weighing scales, measuring spoons, baking tray, grater, sharp knife, chopping board, mixing bowl, sieve, mixing spoon, measuring jug, flour dredger, rolling pin, spreading knife.
1. Preheat the oven to 200 ºC or gas mark 6.
2. Grease or line two baking trays.
3. Prepare the filling ingredients:
- drain and dice the mozzarella cheese (if using);
- grate the Cheddar cheese (if using);
- peel and dice the onion;
- wipe, or peel, and finely chop the mushroom;
- chop the tomato;
- roughly chop the basil.
4. Sift together the flour, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl.
5. Stir in the yeast.
6. Add the oil and enough warm water to mix into a soft dough.
7. Knead the dough for 5-10 minutes on a lightly floured work surface.
8. Roll out the dough into a rectangle.
9. Spread the pizza sauce, or tomato purée, over the base.
10. Sprinkle the filling ingredients over the pizza base.
11. Roll up from the long end sealing the filling inside.
12. Cut into 4cm slices.
13. Place flat on the baking tray. Cover and allow to prove for 20 minutes.
14. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
15. After baking, place on a cooling rack.
- Why not add some different fillings? Try slices of ham, spinach, chopped black and green olives, capers, tuna or sweetcorn.
- You may wish to make a calzone, which is a folded pizza. Roll and shape the dough into a round disk. Rest half of the dough base on a greased baking tray. Place the sauce, toppings and cheese on half of base (which is on the tray). Brush water around the edge of the circle. Fold over the remaining half to form a semi-circle. Fold back the edges with your fingers and place in a preheated oven.
Is there something wrong with the page? Do you have a suggestion or would like to see something on this page?